Basic security tips for your payment cards
Experts | 08.26.2016
Do you have a MoraBanc credit or debit card? Well done! Bank cards are a payment method that allows you to shop in stores and make payments without having to carry cash in your wallet or pocket. Payment cards can be a life-saver if you have no cash on you.
As a cardholder you are responsible for custody and safekeeping of your card. You are also expected to make proper use of your card and Personal Identification Number (PIN).
I would like to share 15 basic security tips with you:
- Always protect your card as if it were cash: it is a payment method.
- Always sign your card. When receiving your card, you must first sign the back of the card before anybody else can sign it.
- Memorise your PIN. Never write down your PIN or keep it in your wallet or bag.
- Choose a PIN that cannot be guessed easily. Don’t use numbers that relate to your personal data (birth date, car registration number, passport, etc.) or common sequences of numbers (such as 1234, 1111, etc.).
- Secure online payments. Activate your CIP security code (personal identification number) at any Morabanc ATM.
- Keep your card statements in a safe place. Never leave your card identification details or documents (contract, monthly statements, etc.) in plain view, whether you are at your workplace or at home. Never throw away the documents without shredding them first to ensure they cannot be recovered.
- Always carry the emergency telephone number of your bank or credit card company if you need to notify a loss or theft. Save it in your mobile phone contacts.
- Never disclose your card details by telephone. MoraBanc already has your details and will never request them to carry out checks by telephone.
For physical payments:
- Never take your eyes off the card when paying. When paying always keep your eyes on your card and the payment terminal (point-of-sale terminal or dataphone).
- Enter your PIN discreetly. When paying in a store or carrying out a transaction at an ATM, make sure no-one is watching.
- Keep your receipts and check your card transactions on your account or card statement. If you detect an error or anything suspicious, notify MoraBanc immediately.
For online payments:
- Use your card to make purchases on reliable websites only. Do your shopping on well-known websites that have a trust seal or which are certified by a credit card company (VISA, Mastercard, etc.).
- Paying on secure websites. Make sure that the URL of the website starts with https (and not http) or look for the padlock symbol before entering your card details.
- Online store identification. Make sure that the retailer’s details are clearly stated on the website and that both a physical address and a customer service telephone number are available.
- Always print out a copy of the transaction or keep a digital version. Don’t throw away the receipt until you have received your purchased goods.
Information on the processing of personal data
In compliance with Law 15/2003 of 18 December on protection of personal data, the customer authorizes that the applicant’s personal data entered on this form will be incorporated into files owned and managed by MORA BANC GRUP, SA – MORA BANC, SAU (hereafter referred to as “MoraBanc”) to process the requested service and, if necessary, to comply with the contracts finally entered into, and also to ensure correct operational procedures.
The applicant expressly authorises MoraBanc to send him/her commercial and promotional communications for products and services and information on the Bank itself, social or other activities, in hardcopy by post or by electronic means (among others, short messages (SMS) to mobile phones, e-mail, etc.). This consent can always be withdrawn, without retroactive effect.
The fact of filling out this form implies that the applicant acknowledges that the information and personal data provided are true, accurate and correct; otherwise, MoraBanc declines all responsibility for the lack of truthfulness or correctness of the data.
The applicant authorises the data provided to be communicated or shared with third parties forming part of the MoraBanc business group, entities which are primarily active in the financial, insurance and service sectors. The applicant is considered as having been informed of this transfer of information by means of this clause. The applicant accepts that he/she may be sent information on any product or service marketed by these companies.
The data processing manager is MoraBanc. The applicant is hereby informed that the rights of access, rectification, suppression or opposition may be exercised in the terms established in current legislation.